nvidia-current Driver Failing to Load

I've had a really odd issue bothering me the entire time that I've been running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). About half the time when I start up my computer I get a message that Ubuntu has failed to load the proprietary nvidia driver and is running in low graphics mode.

A number of other people have also run into this issue and have posted on launchpad or in the forums. I've found quite a few suggested fixes for the problem though the ones I've tried haven't worked for me and none have fixed the problem for all who tried them.
  • Uninstalling the repository nvidia driver and downloading the latest driver from the nvidia website. (how to) I haven't tried this as when my system doesn't have a nvidia driver it fails to boot even to low resolution mode, forcing me to reinstall everything from 9.10 Karmic.
  • Blacklisting the other graphics drivers. (how to) It didn't work for me.
  • Boot with nomodeset option. (how to) It didn't work for me
  • Add bus id to xorg.conf. (how to) Haven't tried it, but it didn't work for another poster.
So far the only thing that has worked for me is the following work around. When the low graphics mode warning appears, log into the terminal and enter:

sudo start gdm

The GDM log in screen then starts up in full resolution. Thanks go to Mr. Moustache for pointing me in the right direction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment